O merciful Creator, your hand is open wide to satisfy the needs of every living creature: Make us always thankful for your loving providence; and grant that we, remembering the account that we must one day give, may be faithful stewards of your good gifts; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Collect for the Stewardship of Creation, The Book of Common Prayer
Parishioners, staff, and clergy who are especially interested in finding ways this parish can participate in safeguarding the integrity of God’s creation and renew the life of the earth work together on educational offerings, outreach activities, and encouraging sustainable practices.
Recently St. Stephen's installed a solar array on the roof of the parish house, a move that will not only reduce energy consumption but is also expected to prolong the life of the roof.
With the oversight of the vestry, the environmental stewardship project team engages parishioners and members of the Richmond community in caring for the earth.
Examples of activities that the committee has been or is currently involved in (and you are invited to be involved, too), include:
- Partnerships with other environmental stewardship organizations and ministries (past activities have been offered in conjunction with Richmond Region Energy Alliance, Sierra Club, and Interfaith Climate Justice Team)
- Seasonal “Holy Hikes” at Pocahontas State Park
- Expanding recycling opportunities at the Farmers Market @ St. Stephen's, and sponsoring occasional electronic waste recycling
- Earth Day observances and activities
- Researching energy efficient options for buildings and grounds in collaboration with vestry