Music Director Search
Director of Music
Posted January 31, 2019 (open until filled)
St. Stephen’s Church is seeking an outstanding, versatile music professional to serve as Director of Music. As the fifth largest Episcopal Church in the country based on attendance, St. Stephen’s offers five services each Sunday that feature music as a central component of worship, each with a distinct liturgical atmosphere: traditional Anglican liturgy in the morning, a contemplative Celtic Eucharist in the early evening, and a candlelit, entirely sung Compline service at 8:00 p.m.
Musical offerings at St. Stephen’s are numerous and varied. The resident Virginia Girls Choir—made up of auditioned middle- and high-school girls from all over the city—sings regularly at Sunday morning services and performs concerts throughout the year. Two adult choirs—St. Stephen’s Choir and Sanctuary—provide music for the morning and Compline services (respectively), and each is comprised of professional singers and auditioned volunteers. Music for the Celtic service features a small group of professional instrumentalists and a cantor. Other ensembles at St. Stephen’s include a volunteer adult Hymn Choir, a Bell Choir, and several choir offerings for children. St. Stephen’s is also home to a magnificent Aeolian-Skinner organ (Opus 1110).
The full-time Director of Music will be responsible for coordinating and managing the inherent complexities of this multifaceted music program. The successful candidate will possess exceptional skills as an organist and choral director; significant experience leading worship in a large, traditional church setting is preferred; deep knowledge of choral literature across style periods, from Early Church Music and the Renaissance to the present; demonstrated ability to manage a team of staff and volunteers; an understanding and appreciation for a variety of liturgical styles; and the capability to manage the music program budget and other administrative responsibilities for the department.
Some of the duties expected of the Director of Music include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work closely with the rector to select repertoire that complements and enhances the aesthetic of each service of worship
- Coordinate with the rector and staff in planning and coordinating musical events for the city
- Work collegially with the larger staff of the church to ensure atmosphere of hospitality, welcome, and embrace for all
- Prepare organ repertoire for recitals, weddings, and funerals, as well as preludes, postludes, anthems, and service music for regular worship services
- Conduct multiple choirs of various ages
- Manage and coordinate existing staff of part-time music professionals (organist, choir directors, staff singers) assisting with worship
- Develop and grow an annual concert series at St. Stephen’s, bringing in top-level talent from the international, national, and local levels
- Serve as the music department’s primary point of contact with the rector and clergy for liturgical planning, attending regular staff meetings, and working in collegial fashion with entire church staff
Compensation and Application
St. Stephen’s offers competitive compensation and full benefits for the position. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter via email to musicdirectorsearch@ststephensRVA.org. Candidates may be asked to send follow-up materials (repertoire lists, video/audio of performances, etc.) upon request. The position is open until filled.