Easter at St. Stephen's
You are invited to join us to celebrate the Resurrection of Our Lord!
All services are in the main church except one of the 9 a.m. services which is in Palmer Hall Chapel (the small, brick chapel that was the original church building).
Saturday, March 31--Easter Eve
7:30 p.m.: The Great Vigil and First Eucharist of Easter, with Holy Baptism
Children are welcome; be aware that it is longer than a typical service. Music will be led by Sanctuary, our Compline choir.
The regularly scheduled 5:30 p.m. service of Holy Eucharist that takes place on Saturdays will not be held on Easter Eve. (Not to be confused with the Celtic service on Sundays, which will take place on Easter Day.)
Sunday, April 1--Easter Day
7:30 a.m.: Holy Eucharist: Rite One
Service using traditional language; includes homily and singing of Easter hymns (but no choir). Lasts about an hour.
9:00 a.m.: Holy Eucharist: Rite Two (main church) ORDER OF SERVICE
Two services--one in Palmer Hall Chapel, one in the main church--using contemporary language.
In the main church, music will be led by the Virginia Girls Choir, organ, and brass quintet, and the rector will preach. This service usually lasts 80-90 minutes.
The Palmer Hall service is tailored especially for families with younger children, though children are welcome at all our services. This service will last a little over an hour. The Palmer Hall choir, Middle School Choir and Cherub Choir will sing.
Children are invited to bring a fresh flower to adorn a cross made of grapevines. (Adults may do this, too!)
A reception follows in the Fellowship Hall for those attending either service.
11:15 a.m.: Holy Eucharist: Rite Two
Service using more contemporary language; sermon by the rector, hymns, St. Stephen's Choir, organ, brass quintet. Usually lasts about 80-90 minutes; reception follows
5:30 p.m.: Celtic Evensong and Communion
Contemplative service with brief homily, piano and other instrumental music, congregational hymns; healing prayer available; lasts about an hour
6:30 p.m.: Sunday Community Supper
All are welcome; donations appreciated but not required. Suppers are prepared using fresh, local ingredients. Takes place in the Fellowship Hall. Read more about these suppers here.
8:00 p.m.: Compline
This half-hour service takes place in the church which is lit only by candles. Though Compline is often spoken in churches, schools, monasteries and homes, at St. Stephen's the service is sung by a mixed a capella choir, Sanctuary. The congregation need only sit (or lie down in a pew) and listen to Gregorian chant and Renaissance motets.
If you are not familiar with St. Stephen's Church, you may find this information helpful:
- The church is located at the corner of Three Chopt Road and Grove Avenue, near the Libbie and Grove shopping area and the University of Richmond. Driving directions are available here.
- Our buildings are handicap accessible; the entrance on Grove Avenue is graded (no steps), the entrance from Three Chopt Road includes a ramp, and an elevator is located in the parish house at the entrance off the main parking lot. Handicap parking spaces are located in the main parking lot, and on the Grove Avenue side of the church near the playground, Palmer Hall Chapel, and the memorial garden.
- Child care for ages 4 and under is available during the 9 a.m., 11:15 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. services on Sunday. Children are welcome in all our services.
- There is no Sunday school for children or adults on Easter Day.
- Informal receptions follow the 9 and 11:15 a.m. services.
- An informal supper follows the 5:30 p.m. service. It is donation-based--donations are appreciated but not required.
- We have large attendance at all our Easter services, so please plan to arrive early. There is on-site parking, street parking, and additional spaces at St. Catherine's School across the street.
- There is no dress code at St. Stephen's Church. If you want to wear an Easter bonnet or fancy clothes, please do. If you want to wear jeans, please do!
- Read more about worship at St. Stephen's here.